- A:(Answer from Dr. Brian G. Widenhouse MD, FACS) Charleston, SC area patients who I see in consultation for a breast lift vs. a breast augmentation typically have drooping breasts (ptosis) and/or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) or in combination with aging. They almost always ask, "Should I get implants only, or do I need a lift?” Here is what I look for ...
- Q:A:(Answer from Dr. Brian G. Widenhouse MD, FACS) Your choice of bra after surgery is going to be a personal matter, and one of comfort, since there are no scientific studies showing what works and what doesn’t. I typically ask patients on the day of surgery to bring a snug but not tight-fitting elastic sports bra ...
- A:(Answer from Dr. Brian G. Widenhouse MD, FACS) Insurance companies may cover this surgery when they deem it "medically necessary". Schedule your breast reduction consult with Dr. Widenhouse. At your consult, if together we decide that breast reduction surgery is the answer for you, we will submit medical records and photos to your insurance provider on your behalf and request approval for your procedure.
- A:(Answer from Dr. Brian G. Widenhouse MD, FACS) The recovery period from breast augmentation surgery can vary, but there is a typical recovery schedule and guidelines we ask our patients to follow. First 4-5 days: No lifting small children, no strenuous housework, no physical work on the job. Those with desk jobs can return to work. You may resume driving.
- A:(Answer from Dr. Brian G. Widenhouse MD, FACS) As a Plastic Surgeon, this is a question I am asked practically every day. The short answer: Tummy tucks remove excess skin and fat, and tighten underlying abdominal muscles. Liposuction removes excess fat located between the skin and muscle. If you are not sure whether you need liposuction or a tummy tuck, I will work with you during your consultation to assess where you are, better understand your goals, and communicate the results you can expect with either procedure.
- A:(Answer from Dr. Brian G. Widenhouse MD, FACS) Although the recovery time can take up to a month, I find that my tummy tuck surgery patients have some of the highest satisfaction levels post-operatively. Without fail, time and again, they tell me it was all worth it. I generally recommend two weeks "off" from school or work. During the first week, the skin on your abdomen will feel very tight and you may not be able to straighten up completely. By the end of two weeks, you will be able to stand up straight.
- A:(Answer from Physician's Assistant April Buckingham, MPAS): Recovery from a Brazilian Butt Lift takes time, but our patients know: it's worth it. Our BBL procedure, which uses liposuction and fat grafting together to sculpt and improve the shape of your buttocks, has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates of any surgery we offer at our offices in Charleston, SC. When followed carefully, our post-operative care instructions can help you get the most out of your BBL. Here are some tips to help you heal and recover quickly and beautifully from your BBL:
- A:Deciding which technique will give the best results depends on the location, the amount of fat to remove, skin quality and other factors. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Brian G. Widenhouse does both frequently and will advise which you are a candidate for, and which will give you better results...
- A:The main deciding factor between getting a Brazilian Butt Lift (a fat grafting procedure) or butt implants is how much fat you have to work with. Real fat from your body shapes well, and I can put it specifically into the areas that need it. I can also use it to help create hips if they are desired as part of your new look. Complication rates tend to be lower with the Brazilian Butt Lift, liposuction is part of the procedure and it costs less. With ...
- A:Liposuction can significantly reduce localized fat deposits to improve your overall body contour on nearly every area of the body. A tummy tuck (also known as abdominoplasty) is a surgical procedure that can help you achieve a flat, toned abdomen. Many of my clients at Port City Plastic Surgery who are close to or at their goal weight are choosing body contouring procedures like SmartLipo and CoolSculpting. The best procedure for you depends upon ...
- A:I perform fat grafting for the Brazilian Butt Lift on three dimensions: below the muscle, in the muscle, and above the muscle. By getting right up next to the skin, I can actually create a smoother, perkier silhouette. This improves appearance of cellulite because the fat added fills in the "dimples" of cellulite. The fat graft is your own fat, taken via liposuction. So the Brazilian Butt Lift is a procedure that also creates a leaner, more youthful look in other areas of your body through liposuction, complementing the additional volume you get in your derriere.
- A:A consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon like me who specializes in breast augmentation and breast lifts is the most important thing you need to do to determine whether your goals would be best met with a breast lift or breast implants. At the exam, we can talk about your options as well as what will work best for you given your body shape and goals. There are aesthetic considerations to think about when making this decision ...
- A:Most of my patients considering breast enhancement surgery want a clear picture of what they will look like after the surgery. Some of our Charleston, SC patients worry they are considering implants that are too large, or too small. Before and after photo galleries of other patients can help, but may not give you the full picture. As a rule of thumb, the most common implant sizes, whether silicone or saline, are 350-450ccs. But size is just one part of the equation ...
- A:Immediately after surgery, your breasts may be swollen, making them appear larger than you desired. Breast implants are also initially placed high on the chest so that they can settle into place naturally. If you have small children, for the first 4-5 days after surgery you may need help lifting your kids, doing more strenuous housework or any physical work on the job. Those with desk jobs may return to work during that first week, and can resume driving.
- A:The recovery period from breast implant surgery can vary widely depending on the exact procedure you had, how well you follow postoperative instructions, and how quickly you heal naturally. Following your surgery, you will be given a prescription for pain medication and can return to normal activities within a few days ...
- A:We tell our patients that returning to activities that elevate their heart rate and blood pressure is possible at the 2 week point after breast augmentation surgery. Power walking, treadmill and other exercise that does not involve the upper body may also be resumed. Taking a break from strenuous exercise for the first 2-3 weeks helps prevent additional swelling or the collection of fluid during your recovery.
Winter can be the best time of year for facial plastic surgery, CO2 laser treatments, laser skin resurfacing, facial dermal fillers, BOTOX® Cosmetic & Dysport, laser hair removal or … Read More
The perfect gift for anyone who wants to look their best: a holiday gift certificate from Port City Plastic Surgery. Available for our most popular procedures, in any … Read More
Port City Plastic Surgery in Charleston, SC is offering buy-one-get-one-half-off CoolSculpting sessions at our beautiful new offices on Daniel Island (next to Sermet’s Courtyard) in SC. Learn more … Read More
When active, fit 51 year old mother of three Michelle came to us for breast augmentation, her positivity and great communication about what she wanted were the keys … Read More
Our men’s plastic surgery patient Germaine Brisbane first started considering a surgical procedure for gynecomastia several years ago. It was our privilege to help this hardworking Dad achieve his goals … Read More
We were thrilled to help hardworking midlife Mom Lori achieve her goals! She had always wanted bigger, perkier breasts, and sought out Port City Plastic Surgery for a … Read More
About Port City Plastic Surgery
Welcome to the website of Charleston, South Carolina’s Port City Plastic Surgery. We invite you to learn more about plastic surgery and our plastic surgery practice for your breast surgery, body contouring or facial rejuvenation procedure. Brian G. Widenhouse, M.D. practices plastic and reconstructive surgery with special emphasis on breast surgery, body contouring, and facial surgery. After completing a full five year general surgery residency, he spent an additional two years training in a plastic and reconstructive surgery fellowship. Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons, Dr. Widenhouse is dedicated to providing quality patient care, with an emphasis on patient safety and meeting your personal goals. Please read about his philosophy of Plastic Surgery as well as his complete education and training resume.
A Full-Service Plastic Surgery Practice
At Port City Plastic Surgery, Dr. Widenhouse performs a variety of body contouring, breast, and facial rejuvenation procedures, such as:
Breast augmentation | Breast Reduction | Breast lifts | Liposuction | CoolSculpting | Body contouring after major weight loss | Tummy Tuck | Facial rejuvenation, face lifts, eyelid surgery | BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport Injections | Fillers, such as Restylane, Perlane, Juvéderm and Radiesse injections | Facial Dermal Fillers | Laser Skin Resurfacing | Tattoo Removal | Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) | Buttock Augmentation